July 22, 2011

LET ME FREE FROM SUFFERING

In my care giving days, I had experienced,all kinds of patient, and I am so thankful above,
because all of my patient loved me, and treated me as one of their own family,during those
days of my care giving career,i had learn a lots of things,on what life really is,and what is 
the purposed in each and every one of us,I am fortunate,because all my patient and all 
of the family of my different patient,they treated me as one of their own family, and when 
I thought of it,maybe,the way on how I treat my patient in all the best into my maximum,
and being true to them and natural. I'll share my experience on one of my patient that I 
loved him as my grandfather,and as my very best friend, since I started to worked with 
him,at the first time when I met my patient,i was really and honestly felt,a nice feeling
to my patient, even though its the first time that we met,but I truly sense at that time, 
that I'll be happy taking care for my patient, and we'll have a great good bonding as a
friend,as I starting taking care of my patient,we developed a great foundation, like 
grandfather and grandson likewise as best of friends. Despite of the health condition
of my patient,he always smiled,and always happy,and I learned from my patient that 
despite in all trials that we encounter in our life,we can always have a smiled on our 
face,in this way,we can divert what the negative flow,that obstruct our way,the condition 
of my patient was good and in fact, my patient is a survivor of gangrene infection 
on his right foot,and was amputated because of the infection, and was penetrated to the
bone,at that time, I can see the suffering of my patient,and never ending pain,until,the
son and all of the member of the family,says that my patient needed to be amputated to 
survive,because,the doctor say,there will be no other way,and immediately they arranged
the amputation surgery. We stay at the hospital for one month,and within the month that 
we stay in the hospital,the recovery is fast,just right after the amputation my patient 
showing a great progress and fast recovery,and after one month we transfer to rehabilitation
center,for the wound healing and for the prosthetic leg to be made for my patient and 
learning to use the prosthetic leg,after the full complete wound healing of the amputated leg. 
we stay at the recovery center for three months and my patient got the prosthetic leg and my 
patient knows how to use it, and already used to it. And after that,we discharge in the 
rehabilitation center and go home,we had a happy and normal way of life in day to day, 
for three years.then.
One day, it was an expected day for me and for all of us and the family of the patient,
my patient uses a catheter for eight year,before i started to work with my patient.
my patient uses the Foley catheter which is the internal catheter.

my patient complained that his lower back is painful,and I observe that the urine bag is not
the usual discharge of urine,is just a 200 cc and the normal that my patient urine discharge is
usually 500 cc, we called the ambulance and we brought my patient to the hospital, together
with me is the son of my patient,we stay at the ultra sound department for 30 minutes,
and we transfer to x-ray department after the ultrasound, and straight to the ward, while 
waiting for the result,we are all anxious about the situation of my patient,after 30 minutes 
the result came,my patient has a kidney dysfunction, and there are small kidney stone 
that cause the obstruction,of my patient urinary discharge, me and the son of my patient 
are waiting what will be the decision of the doctor, after 30 minutes,the doctor arrived
in my patient ward and the doctor decided to make the oral medication,to dissolve the
tiny stone in my patient kidney,but the problem is,the kidney of my patient is dysfunction.
the doctors will observe my patient for one week,and if the treatment will not succeed,
they will go to step two,which is the operation,and my patient is 85 years old,that's what
bothers the doctors,if my patient will survive the operation due to old age.

unfortunately within three days,my patient catches an complication to his entire body,
such as the lungs, heart and the kidney as well,may patient was transferred to the ( ICU )
which is the intensive care unit. The doctors made the immediate operation by trying to 
suction the tiny stone out,in this way of operation is much safe,for my patient,by a tube
suction,and the doctors found out there's a lot of tiny stone like a sand
inside the kidney of my patient. After the operation,my patient was back to ( ICU ).but 
there's no sign of progress,the doctors says,we'll hope the medication and all the 
antibiotics,will help my patient to recover,and the kidney will function again.

For three weeks,my patient was always sleeping,and constantly,shouting due to pain,
and my patient always shout,again and again,free me from my suffering,i can't make it 
anymore,my patient holds my hand and he told me, don't leave him,and I said to him,I'll 
always stay beside you don't worry,as day go by,my patient just ate a small amount of 
food,with an alternative liquid feeding that provided by the hospital and recommended
by the doctors to give to my patient,but all of this failed, we stay in the hospital for one
month,and that one month,will be the day of our sorrow,i sit beside the bed of my patient
and watching him sleeping,when I decided to hold his hands,he shouted loudly and says
free me from suffering,and I saw his face, was red and  finding hard to breath,i called
the nurses and doctors,they give my patient, the CPR, but,it failed,that was my hard day,
and to all of us and family of the patient,my patient died,and I called all the sons and 
daughters,and tell them that their father is dead. its so hard for me because my connection
to my patient is deep,and most hard likewise for the family of my patient,we just accepted
it, that my patient day,comes,and he will be rest in peace, and free from suffering.When I 
recall those time,is still like a burning feeling within my heart.I love my patient as like my 
grandfather,and my patient is a good man,and I know that my patient is free from pain 
and suffering.   BY: J.LE

No comments: